A Dish for Winter
4 Medium Waxy Potatoes (Desiree)
1 Large Onion
8 Anchovy Fillets
400ml Double Cream (or half double cream, half full fat milk)
1. Peel potatoes. Slice into thin discs about 2cm thick then chop into matchsticks.
2. Cover with cold water and rinse starch off. Remove from water and dry.
3. Peel and slice onion thinly. Melt a knob of butter in a thick bottom pan. Add onions. Season very lightly with salt and allow to cook down slowly, avoiding getting colour, for around 20-30 minutes.
4. Butter an oven proof dish.
5. Spread onion mixture on bottom.
6. Snip anchovies over onion mixture, evenly spread out.
7. Drop the potato chips on top. Lightly season with salt & pepper.
8. Pour over cream (or cream/milk mixture).
9. Scatter breadcrumbs over the top.
10. Bake in the oven at 140c for around 60 minutes till the cream is bubbling and top is golden brown.
11. Remove from oven and allow to stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.